In order to strengthen collaboration in research and higher education between both countries, the Indonesian and French government organized by turns an annual meeting within a Joint Working Group (JWG) framework. In 2016, approximately 200 participants representing various institutions from both countries participated in the 8th JWG held on April 5th-7th 2016 at the University of La Rochelle, France.
The 8th JWG Indonesian-French event is a collaboration between the Ministry of Research, Technology and Higher Education and the Institut Français Indonesia (IFI) with supervision from the Indonesian Embassy in Paris and the French Embassy in Jakarta. Coordination is done by the University of La Rochelle and University Sebelas Maret Solo.
JWG’s objective is to gather representatives of the Ministry from both countries, universities, researchers, experts and enterprenuers in order to provide opportunities such as:
- Strengthen the network between the Indonesian and French parties as well as to discuss opportunities for collaboration.
- Revisit past collaboration done in 2015 and evaluate the results qualitatively and quantitatively.
- Examine and consider short term opportunities for collaboration (2016-2018).
- Examine mechanism and administrative procedures that could support joint research.
- Identify priorities and implementation of future planned activities (conferences, seminars, workshops, calls for proposals, etc).
Preparation of new consortiums such as the French-Indonesian Consortium on Engineering and Management/FICEM that already exist.
Meanwhile during the 8th JWG event, Indonesia and France had the opportunity to promote national language from both countries. Every speech during plenary session are translated simultaneously either into Indonesian or French. (Nn / bkkp)